Since athletes may have increased inflammation from exercise we’ve created an ultimate guide to anti inflammatory foods that are packed with inflammation fighting antioxidants, vitamins and minerals. (1)
From nutrient and fiber rich fruits and vegetables, whole grains, healthy fats and protein sources, this free anti-inflammatory foods list pdf printable is your go to source for choosing foods to support your sports nutrition performance plan.
Our anti infammatory diet food list PDF guide provides a comprehensive list of over 100 anti inflammatory foods that you can easily incorporate into your diet. In fact, you’ll probably find many of your favorite foods on the list!
We recommend that before your next grocery store trip, print it out and circle your favorites or new foods you want to try.
Read on to learn more about foods that fight inflammation.
Why use the anti inflammatory foods list pdf
Inflammation is a natural process that occurs in the body to protect it from harm. However, chronic inflammation contributes to a range of health issues that can impact athletes performance, recovery and overall well being.
Fortunately, your diet plays a significant role in naturally managing inflammation.
There isn’t one anti-inflammatory food that’s strongest since the effects of may vary between individual and type of inflammation. It’s best to eat a variety of anti-inflammatory foods to maximize the benefits.
Not surprisingly, the anti inflammatory food list contains many commonly eaten foods.
For instance, oatmeal is an anti inflammatory food. Fruits and vegetables like pineapple, cucumber and sweet potatoes are good for reducing inflammation. Lastly, even spices like cinnamon have anti inflammatory effects.
Below you’ll find a comprehensive anti inflammatory diet food list for each food category. However, we recommend you print our anti inflammatory foods list pdf because it has all the foods on one page.
- Red grapes
- Tart Cherry
- Red cabbage
- Brussels sprouts
- Sweet potatoes
- Swiss Chard
- Green Beans
- Red Bell pepper
- Bok choy
- Brown Rice
- Whole Wheat
- Black pepper
Nuts and Seeds
- Chia seeds
- Pumpkin seeds
- Brazil nuts
- Macadamia nuts
- Sunflower seeds
- Sesame Seeds
Fatty fish (omega 3)
Other anti inflammatory foods
- Dark chocolate
- Green tea
- Turmeric tea
- Chamomile tea
10 best inflammation fighting foods
Ten of the best foods that naturally fight inflammation are berries, fatty fish, leafy greens, turmeric, olive oil, nuts, ginger, tomatoes, garlic and dark chocolate.
Read more about each of these super foods below:
- Berries: Berries like blueberries, strawberries, raspberries and blackberries are packed with antioxidants called anthocyanins. Research shows these reduce inflammation in the body. (2)
- Fatty fish: Fatty fish like salmon, sardines, and mackerel are rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which have anti-inflammatory properties.
- Leafy greens: Leafy greens like spinach, kale, and collard greens have nutrients like vitamins A, C, and K, as well as antioxidants and anti inflammatory compounds.
- Turmeric: Turmeric, a spice that contains a compound called curcumin, is used in cooking to enhance flavors and for its anti-inflammatory properties.
- Olive oil: Extra virgin olive oil is a rich source of healthy fats and antioxidants. Indeed, it also includes a compound called oleocanthal, shown to have anti-inflammatory effects similar to ibuprofen.
- Nuts: Nuts like almonds, walnuts and pistachios have healthy fats, fiber, and antioxidants like flavanoids that reduce inflammation.
- Ginger: Ginger contains compounds called gingerols and shogaols, which have anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
- Tomatoes: Tomatoes are rich in lycopene, an antioxidant that has been shown to reduce inflammation in the body. They also contain other anti-inflammatory compounds like beta-carotene and vitamin C.
- Garlic: Garlic contains compounds like allicin and sulfur, which have an anti-inflammatory and immune-boosting effects.
- Dark chocolate: Dark chocolate is high in flavonoids, antioxidants that have anti inflammatory benefits.
The foods on the anti-inflammatory foods list pdf have many health benefits because of the antioxidants, fiber and other minerals. With so many foods on this list, you should have no problem adding them to your meals.
What’s your favorite food on the list, and which food do you want to try for the first time?
*While this is a list of over 100 anti inflammatory foods, this is not all inclusive.*
Steph Magill, MS, RD, CD, FAND has over 20 years in public health and nutrition experience. As a performance nutritionist, Stephanie specializes in sports nutrition and provides simple and actionable information so that athletes can be well fueled for high performance on and off the field. Stephanie has a Master’s Degree in Nutrition and is a Fellow of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.